Archive for June 14, 2012
Tags: Ace Hardware, beating the heat, box fan giveaway, fans, OG&E, Salvation Army, summer heat, summer help
The Salvation Army Central Oklahoma Area Command received 200 box fans from OG&E and another 100 fans from Ace Hardware Wednesday to help seniors, the chronically ill and families with infants stay cool during the summer.
The Salvation Army Central Oklahoma Area Command hopes to prevent the heat-related deaths that Oklahoma experienced in past years. Many elderly citizens die during the summer months due to heat-related illnesses.
The Salvation Army provides box fans to:
*senior citizens age 62 and older
* families with infants under 6 months of age
* the disabled with chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, asthma, emphysema and people taking psychotropic and other medications.
Clients in need should call 405-246-1060 to see if they qualify for a free fan.
CLIENTS WHO RECEIVED FANS LAST YEAR ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR FANS THIS YEAR.
“Heat poses a very real danger to our elderly clients and those with medical issues,” said Ashley Jones, director of Social Services for the Central Oklahoma Area Command. “These box fans literally can mean the difference between staying cool and dying from the heat.”
“We are especially grateful to OG&E and ACE Hardware for their loyal and generous donations of fans. Without their help, we would be hard-pressed to be able to supply as many fans as we do for those in need,” Jones added.
Last summer, The Salvation Army provided more than 500 fans in Central Oklahoma.
Applicants are required to bring the following documentation to the appointment:
1) Picture ID – (Driver’s License, State Issued ID, Governmental/Military ID, or Passport or ID from Country of Origin) for ALL adult household members
2) Social Security Cards, legal documents bearing Social Security numbers or equivalent documentation from Country of Origin for ALL household members.
3) Proof of Residency – current gas, electric, water or lease agreement/mortgage payment.
4) Applicants must reside in Oklahoma County.
The Salvation Army Central Oklahoma Area Command also provides a cooling station at the Red Shield Kitchen, 330 SW 4th, at the Norman Corps at 318 E. Hayes in Norman and at the Canadian County Service Center at 201 S. Bickford in El Reno when temperatures reach more than 100 degrees.