May 14-20 is National Salvation Army Week, and we in Central Oklahoma celebrate the important work that our volunteers contribute each and every day.
In the spirit of “Doing the Most Good,” The Salvation Army Central Oklahoma asks, “How do you do the most good?”
Share your story about how you help your community. We want to hear from supporters, volunteers, employees, and fans and followers on social media about how you volunteer and help your communities. You can send a photo or make a video or share your story on how YOU do the most good.
If you’ve ever wanted to make a difference, now is your chance. We’ve got a few ideas on how to get started, including:
* When you buy in bulk, share your surplus by dropping off any non-perishable food item to your local Salvation Army.
* Bring flowers to work and share them with your coworkers.
* Volunteer to be a tutor in a Salvation Army after-school program.
* Join The Salvation Army in their visits to sing to seniors and residents of nursing homes.
* Offer a couple of hours of baby-sitting service to friends and family.
* Have a Salvation Army Doing the Most Good Day at work, with employees bringing nonperishable food and toys to donate to the charity.
* Pay a compliment to someone at least once a day.
* Call or visit a housebound person or older relative.
* Volunteer at your local Salvation Army Center.
* Give the gift of your smile to everyone you meet.
* Do the WRITE thing by sending a few kind words and a cookie or two to our soldiers overseas, especially on May 19, 2012, which is Armed Forces Day.
* Tell your husband/wife or children why you love them.
* Give your stuff a second life by donating old clothes to The Salvation Army Family and Thrift Stores.
* Tell your coworkers that you think they’re doing a good job.
* Give new toys or books to children at a Salvation Army shelter.
* For one week, act on every single thought of generosity that comes in your heart. Notice what happens.
* Say thank you.
* While in a restaurant, pay for the meals at another table. Instruct the waitress to give you that table’s check, quietly without notice.
* Cut someone’s grass or weed or plant flowers in someone’s garden.
* Drop off a bag of groceries on someone’s doorstep.
* Go to a nursing home and bring an anonymous bouquet of flowers. Visit the Warr Acres Senior Center at noon this Wednesday and join the residents for an ice-cream social.
* Put quarters in expired or about-to-be-expired parking meters.
Take pictures of “Doing the Most Good” this week and post them to our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Salvation-Army-Oklahoma-City/111677641619 or on twitter at @salvationarmyok.
Happy NATIONAL SALVATION ARMY WEEK!
To donate, call 1-800-Sal-Army or visit www.salvationarmyusa.org